Kit Colburn Found Safe

5:41 PM, May 10, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Video: Kit Colburn Leaves Warner Robins Police Station

Video: Kit Colburn Found Safe

Video: Brett Evans Discusses Kit Colburn

Video: Dan McCown Discusses Finding Kit Colburn

Video: Kit Colburn Back Home

Video: Kit Colburn Found Safe

  • Kit Colburn back home with his father Thursday afternoon. (Photo by Austin Lewis/13WMAZ).
  • Kit Colburn reportedly walked out of school at noontime Tuesday and was still missing hours later.

4:45 p.m.: (From Lorra Lynch Jones) Sheriff's Juvenile Division Lt. Darin Meadows says social workers from DFCS checked Kit and his home and found no sign of past or present abuse. Meadows says the father has decided not to file charges against his son for being a runaway. Meadows said Houston County juvenile investigators have not received the case yet but expect to wrap up their investigation in a few days. He said DFCS will continue to offer resources to the family, including counseling if requested. Kit was turned over to his father's custody.

A police department Facebook post said Kit and his father were interviewed by the Warner Robins Police Department Criminal Investigations Division, the Houston County Sheriff's Office Juvenile Division, and the Division of Family and Children Services (DFCS).

4:15 p.m.: Ken Colburn told 13WMAZ's Austin Lewis at the family home that both he and Kit are at home. He would not comment further.

3:55 p.m. UPDATE:  Houston County juvenile division officers are now handling Kit Colburn's case.  

Warner Robins police say now that the boy has been found, their missing persons investigation has ended.

The State Division of Family and Children Services (DFCS) is also involved.

3:45 p.m. UPDATE: Kit Colburn left the police station through a side exit with an officer and someone else, apparently Kit's father, according to 13WMAZ's Lorra Lynch Jones. They got into an unmarked government vehicle with another officer at the wheel and sped off. Police would not tell us where the car was heading.



Police Chief Brett Evans says 10-year-old Kit Colburn was found around 9:45 a.m. in bushes at a house on Kimberly Drive, in the original search area and close to the staging area for the search.

At a news conference, Evans said a preliminary medical check found Kit is fine.

Exterminator Dan McCown said he was spraying a hedge when Kit "popped up."

"At first we thought it was a dog or a cat or something, but when he stood up, we immediately knew who he was."

McCown says the boy was shaking and the first thing he said was "My dad's gonna beat me."

Mayor Chuck Shaheen said Kit was brought directly to police headquarters where he and his father began talking with officers. The Mayor said staff brought Kit food from Chik-Fil-A.

Evans said there would be another news conference with more detail after investigators interviewed Kit and his father separately to piece together an account of Kit's disappearance.

Evans says Colburn did not have a history of running away as previously reported. The only prior incident involved Kit running to a friend's house. 

Evans thanked the community for helping with the search for Kit.

Since Colburn was first reported missing Tuesday around noon, the Food Max Parking lot on Russell Parkway served as the headquarters for hundreds of police, fire department personnel, military, emergency rescue workers and volunteers.

The rescue workers began packing up and leaving as soon as it was confirmed that Kit was safe.

Before he was found Thursday morning, Colburn was last seen Tuesday morning around 8:45 a.m.  Police said he walked away from Russell Elementary School when a teacher sent him to the adminstrative offices in a separate building.

Most Watched Videos